Ads

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Cara Delevingne quits modelling: "I am a bit of a feminist and it makes me feel sick"

Cara Delevingne quits modelling: "I am a bit of a feminist and it makes me feel sick"


Cara Delevingne has quit modelling after confessing that the profession "made [her] feel a bit hollow".

The Paper Towns star, who rose to stardom after being signed up for Burberry's fashion campaign in 2011, revealed that the stress of working in the industry caused her to develop severe psoriasis - a chronic skin condition which made her feel isolated.

London Fashion Week - Autumn/Winter 2013 - Sister by Sibling - Catwalk
© Marcio Madeira/News Pictures/WENN.com

Speaking to The Times, the actress explained: "I am not doing fashion work any more, after having, like, psoriasis and all that stuff.

"Modelling just made me feel a bit hollow after a while. It didn't make me grow at all as a human being. And I kind of forgot how young I was... I felt so old."

On her painful skin condition, the 23-year-old recalled: "People would put on gloves and not want to touch me because they thought it was, like, leprosy or something."

Cara Delevingne attends the Paper Towns New York Premiere at AMC Loews Lincoln Square on July 21, 2015
© Andrew H. Walker/FilmMagic

Delevingne added that it made her start to dislike her body and erode her confidence, continuing: "I was, like, fight and flight for months. 

"Just constantly on edge. It is a mental thing as well because if you hate yourself and your body and the way you look, it just gets worse and worse."

She also argued that the industry takes advantage of younger models, and that when she was a teenager she felt like she couldn't say no to posing naked.

The cast of Suicide Squad attend Comic-Con 2015
© Getty Images / Kevin Winter
Cara Delevingne and the cast of Suicide Squad

"I am a bit of a feminist and it makes me feel sick," she said. "It's horrible and it's disgusting. [We're talking about] young girls. You start when you are really young and you do get subjected to... not great stuff."

Speaking about modelling previously, she admitted: "I've always wanted to be an actress, more than anything in the world. Modelling was never a passion of mine."

Delevingne stars as the mystical Enchantress in DC Comics' forthcoming Suicide Squad alongside Margot Robbie, Jared Leto and Will Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment